Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Remembering Grandpa

As I said in my last blog, there were some sad times as well this past year. My grandfather passed away in Dec. Upon his request I did his funeral. The first funeral I have ever done. My family requested that I type up what I said at the funeral because they would like a copy. Well I have been putting it off, that is until Monday. I typed it up and spent some good time remembering him. I thought I would share with you a little - so you can share in some of those memories too:

I remember driving around with him in his Caddy. It was always fun to ride with grandpa. First of all, I always thought it was an awesome car. The color might have changed over the years, but you could always count on it having leather interior and when you opened up the console you could always find candy – Big Red chewing gum, circus peanuts or cinnamon candies. When we rode with him we were always allowed to get candy – it didn’t matter if it was morning, noon or night.

I also remember when we moved to Texas we only got to see gram and gramp a few times a year – either they would come visit or we would come home to IL. When they came to visit my brothers and I would wake up early for school, which we never did, get ready as quickly as we could so we could play cards with grandpa. He taught us poker, black jack, and seven-card stud.

I remember Christmas when the whole family would get together and the grandkids would get to open their presents first. We would have so much fun taking pictures in our matching outfits. I remember a very special Christmas when I was five – I was in the hospital on Christmas day, so I missed the big family get together. Once I got out gram and gramp had Christmas just for me. I remember the love he showed me while I was in the hospital. The way he was a strength to me and to my parents in our time of need.

I will always remember how much he loved us. He showed us through his actions and his words. I won’t ever forget when he said good-bye to my brother as he headed off to the war in Iraq. I won’t ever forget the times he told me he loved me. I won’t forget the way he loved grandma, especially in the last several months. He wanted to make sure she was taken care of.

I won't ever forget him and the impact he made on my life. This Christmas was just not the same. I am very thankful for my family - my grandpa, grandma, aunts, uncles, parents, brothers and cousins. Here is a pic of the cousins and grandma. I have been reminded the past couple of months that even though things are tough and life might stink - God is good.

3 comments:

Kara said...

those are great stories about your grandpa. i am sure that your family appreciated you sharing such great memories and thoughts at his funeral.
keep the blogs a'comin!

Candy said...

YEA! You're back! It sounds like your Grandpa was a very special guy. I know you must miss him. Now you get to share that love. How cool is that?

Nicole said...

SARAH!!! I found it!! YEAH!!!

I loved reading about your grandpa. It reminds me of my parents and my kids. I can hear Avery saying the same things about my dad. SO special. Thank you for sharing such special memories!!

I am going to keep on you about posting. Ask Summer. I bug her too. So be ready!! :)