Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Dunking Booth


Well since we got back from Miami, I have hit the ground running at work. We had a Spring Family Carnival two weeks ago to raise money for our High School Summer Mission Trips - we are going to Mexico and New Orleans this summer. It was a lot of fun - we almost got rained out, but it turned out to be a gorgeous day. My favorite part of the day was the Dunking Booth. We started the carnival later than we were expecting due to the weather, but all the High School students were there ready to work. Since we were unsure if we were going to cancel or not, and we had already rented the Dunking Booth for the day - I thought I will go and sit in it and let the students have some fun. It was overcast, the West Texas wind was a blowin' and it was about 55 degrees outside - so just a little cold. The water that I was about to fall into was straight out of a fire hydrant - so it was COLD and very rusty as you can tell from the pics. You're supposed to be able to see through the plastic window in the front. The first time I went in it was pretty cold, but it wasn't until I got out and sat back on the bent that I really got cold from the lovely West Texas Wind. My husband showed up for the glorious occasion and it only took him two throws and he had me dunked. I had one student who plays baseball step up to throw and I got so scared about being knocked in that I jumped off the seat and into the water without him even hitting the target. All the parents and students got a kick out of that.


Throughout the day I had some great people lined up to be dunked - the director of Young Life, a very challenging Biology teacher and English teacher from Abilene High, the head football coach from Abilene High and our preacher Mike Cope to name a few. They were all such great sports, we are very thankful for them. One of my favorite moments of the day was when my husband's grandmother showed up to try to dunk Mike. She is over 70 years old and on her second throw she had Mike dunked! We had a great day and the Lord was good. We raised several thousand dollars. Thanks to everyone who helped make this day a success! It was a blessing.

3 comments:

Kara said...

the third picture is my favorite!

Mark Lavender said...

It's a good thing the carnival and the dunking booth were not this weekend. I agree with Summer. I'd love to see Ruby wind up and throw that ball at the target. What did she throw? Fastball? Changeup? Slider?

Candy said...

Max really loved it when you jumped in. He's had some fun with that story I tell ya! He also loves the part about Zach having to pay up $20 because he got you in with his first throw!